Have you ever taken a good look at your home and thought to yourself, “Wow, I own a lot of things”? Don’t worry – you’re not alone. A survey has shown that more than half of Americans are overwhelmed with clutter.
If you feel like it’s time for an overhaul of your lifestyle, we’ve got you covered. In this post, we share a few tips on how you can simplify your life and maintain a minimalist home.
What is a minimalist home?
Before you dive into how you can cut the clutter and live more minimally, let’s discuss what a “minimalist home” even is. Put simply, a minimalist home is one that contains only the essentials. It doesn’t have to be empty, but it must aim to strike the balance between too bare and too messy. Generally, modern, minimalist homes are clean and sleek, with neutral color palettes, practical furniture, open floor plans, and large windows that allow for plenty of light.
Why practice minimalism at home, anyway?
Maintaining a minimalist home benefits you in more ways than one, including:
- It creates a calm environment. The presence of clutter can lead to a sense of stress in people, especially women. It’s no surprise since clutter can overwhelm your senses with visual stimulation. Being mindful of your belongings can help you create a sense of calm, boost your productivity, and improve your overall well-being.
- It makes your home easier to clean. The more you own, the more you will have to clean. And if you’re a busy bee, you may not have enough time to give your home the right TLC. Therefore, cleaning your home will be so much easier if you have a minimalist lifestyle.
- It increases the desirability of your home. Minimalist homes are in. Homes filled with nothing but the basics are more desirable in the eyes of buyers and renters. As a result, your home will have a higher value, which may result in a higher value when it’s put up for sale. (Pro tip: when marketing your minimalist home, hire a property management company that can help you take appealing photos).
- It lets you use your space more efficiently. Harboring too many things can keep you from using your space the way it was meant to be used. An example of this is when you have to move stuff out of the way every time you need to use your appliances or access other parts of your home.
Tips on maintaining a minimalist home
Embracing minimalism can be a challenge. It’s not easy to give up the things you’ve owned your whole life and make such a drastic change, which is why most people skip minimalist living. As one of the top luxury property management companies in Florida, we’ve helped countless clients shift to minimalism, and have become familiar with the main obstacle that homeowners face: they prefer doable tips, that don’t involve giving their homes a full facelift.
That’s why we’re here to walk you through realistic ways you can live more simply without feeling like your whole world has shifted. Here’s how you can reap the benefits of minimalism and transform your home into a clutter-free, purposeful space that Marie Kondo would be proud of:
1. Assess what you currently own
As we earlier mentioned, minimalism means filling your home only with things that have a purpose. Before you begin cleaning, decluttering, and donating, take a good look around you. What things do you own? How often do you use these things? What items take up the most space in your home? Creating an inventory of your possessions will give you an idea of how much you own, so you can decide how much you should maintain and let go of.
2. Declutter, and declutter some more
Once you’ve identified which items you do need, you can declutter and get rid of the things you don’t need. Here’s a tip: declutter room by room so you don’t feel overwhelmed by the amount of work you have to do. Start with the room you spend the most time in or the room that’s causing you the most stress. For example, if you feel stressed out because of your overflowing wardrobe, deal with that first. Or, you could start with the easiest room to clean and declutter. If you go through the largest and messiest room, you might feel discouraged due to the rate of your progress.
3. Know it’s OK to keep items you might need
Purposeful items don’t always need to be items you’ll use today – they can also be belongings you might need next season. As you simplify your life, it’s important to note that minimalism isn’t wasteful, so don’t throw away items that you can still use. As long as you’re certain it has a specific purpose, and that you can store it away from your view so it isn’t an eyesore, it’s perfectly fine to save it for future use.
4. Purchase high-quality items
When it’s time to replace your items, make sure to purchase only high-quality things that will last a long time. Don’t bother with disposable items that you’ll only throw away after a year or two, and instead, invest in well-made items – they may be more expensive, but you’re guaranteed to get your money’s worth. This applies to everything you fill your home with, from furniture to appliances.
A home management company in Florida can help you shop for household items of top quality. Remember, minimalism isn’t only about the number of items you own, but also the waste you’re able to reduce as you practice minimalism.
5. Tidy up as you go
The easiest way to maintain your home’s minimal aesthetic is by cleaning whenever you notice something is out of place. A home is meant to be lived in, so it’s bound to get a bit messy at times. To prevent that mess from piling up, clean as you go. If you put it off, you may be tempted to not clean at all due to the amount of work that needs to be done.
In addition, be sure to set a cleaning schedule for each room. Some rooms (like the kitchen) will need daily attention, while others (like the bedroom) will need to be maintained weekly. Stay on top of this schedule to ensure your home stays immaculate.
How luxury property management companies can help you maintain minimalism
Luxury property management companies are tasked with making sure your home is in pristine condition at all times. Not only do they have a full-fledged team of property managers, but they’ve also built long-standing partnerships with some of the best maintenance companies in the area. This makes them the perfect option if you don’t have the time to clean your home yourself, or if you simply want stress-free home management.
At Luxury Property Care, we provide full-service property management for luxury homes in South Florida. Call us at (561) 944 – 2992 or complete our contact form to learn more.